As early as 1900, Heringsdorf’s coastal forest was integrated in the recreational and restorative life of the urbane seaside resort to increase its attractiveness. Tennis courts under shady stands of beech, a unique racecourse (horseshoe-shaped) with luxurious riding facilities, a dense network of hiking trails and historically interesting excursion destinations also “lured” the illustrious resort society of the day into the healthy, shady greenwood.
BISMARCK OBSERVATORY ON PRÄSIDENTENBERG HILL
Started on 1 March 1903 with board of Seebad Heringsdorf AG.
31 March 1905 Competition for monument to honour the Iron Chancellor and symbol of the power of the German nation. Contract awarded to Otto Rietz from the Schöneberg district of Berlin.
Foundation stone laid: 3. September 1905
Inauguration: 23. June 1907
Cost: 50.000 marks
Entry price 1913: 20 pfennigs
Position: South-West of Heringsdorf on Präsidentenberg hill at an elevation of 45 m above sea level, top viewing platform of Bismarck observatory 42 m
Demolition: 1 May 1946 on command of the Soviet army Signs of the demolition can still be seen today in scars in the bark of old beech trees.
RESTAURANT ON PRÄSIDENTENBERG HILL
The origin cannot be precisely determined.
It is said that an old resident, when he still a child, found a longer poem in the then still open hall, which contained the words:
“A president came out, this hill is named after him.”
Since 1872 restaurant: “The summit of the hill is surmounted by a small pavilion and cafe, from where a lovely view unfolds.”
The restaurant become even more popular due to the opening of the Bismarck Observatory in 1897 and was used by the local rifle club, for example, as the clubhouse. Demolition 1946 – the forest has reclaimed this ground.
The Thingstätte is an open-air stage built during the Nazi era, modelled on ancient Greek theatres.
1 May 1934 Festive opening of Heringsdorf Thingstätte against imposing natural backdrop. It had seating for 20,000 spectators.
After 1951, work was started by the sports association Lokomotive Heringsdorf to redevelop the site as a sports centre. The project was never completed and allowed to fall into decay. The site has now been reclaimed by nature.
Combined with the award of the title “Seebad” (seaside resort) to Heringsdorf on 4 June 1879 by Kaiser Wilhelm I, a dense network of rambling and bridle paths was created. In order to increase the attractiveness of the place, special monuments were created as excursion destinations, like the stone table. Even today this a popular destination for excursions and is used for forest concerts.
The stone table was inaugurated in 1888 as a resting place with an open view under the high beech canopy. Students from Greifswald University were engaged to create it.
The ensemble, based on historical models, consists of a round table with 5 armchairs, was created from sandstone and then later reworked in concrete in some places.
Clay originated from ice age glacier activity and was deposited during the melting of the glaciers.
The clay was used as a raw material for the construction of cottages, shacks and half-timbered houses. The former school building in Schulstrasse (now a residential building) dates from this time. Until 1990 use also as a localized treatment in topical clay treatment. 1946–1948 Training place East German sporting champions from Lokomotive Heringsdorf power training group led by the Griebenow brothers.